How can each theory, or combination of theories, guide the curriculum development process? A brief description of how learning theories guide curriculum development.
Nursing Discussion: Applying Learning Theories to Nursing Curriculum and Programs
Theorists have always been interested in how people learn. They have created and refined learning theories and provided authentic examples of human motivation and learning preferences. Much research has also been conducted on how educators teach others. Literature suggests that even when educators did not believe that they were using a theory, they were in fact using one or more to drive their instruction. Though nurse educators may naturally incorporate theories into their instruction, great care should be taken to consciously incorporate theories into the design and presentation of the curriculum. Doing so will not only benefit diverse learners but also aid in the curriculum development process.
In this Discussion, you explore how learning theories offer distinct strategies, approaches, and considerations.
Questions to be addressed:
1. Review the learning theories presented in this week’s Learning Resources. How can each theory, or combination of theories, guide the curriculum development process? A brief description of how learning theories guide curriculum development.
2. Identify your Course Project setting (Arizona State University) and provide a brief description of your team’s proposed curriculum or program (Doctor of Nursing Science (DNSc) programs).
3. Reflect on the curriculum or program that your team is developing for your Course Project. In addition, reflect on the learning needs and diverse learning styles of your students/staff/patients.
4. Select one learning theory that you could apply to your team’s curriculum or program. Consider how this learning theory could guide your team’s curriculum development process.
5. Explain how your selected theory applies to your team’s curriculum/program by sharing at least two authentic examples.
6. Access the “VARK: A Guide to Learning Styles” website, also found in this week’s Learning Resources (http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire).Complete the learning styles assessment and review your scores and learning preferences. These results will assist you in your response post.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!