Discussion #1 Chapters 1 & 2:
Compose a well-written response to one of the below prompts. Reply to at least 2 other classmates’ posts. Refer to the discussion rubric below and on Canvas for specific grading criteria.
Discussion #1 Due on Sunday, May 22, 2022, by 11:59 p.m.
- Why are the work of Hans von Hentig and Benjamin Mendelsohn important in the study of victimology? Why are some of the classifications developed by Hans von Hentig and Benjamin Mendelsohn problematic to the study of victimology?
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) and the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)? Which data source do you think is the best measure of victimization? Why?
- Given what you have read about the theories and factors that contribute to victimization, how can victimization be prevented? Be sure to connect your prevention ideas to the causes of victimization discussed in Chapter 2.
- Your discussion should exhibit careful thought and logical reasoning and provide evidence for your position.
- You will be required to cite the book in APA format (see below) and are encouraged to cite appropriate outside sources as well.
- The original post should be at least 400 words, and use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- You are also required to read and reply to two other students. Your replies should be at least 200 words each and offer new substantiated ideas or thoughtful questions.
- I encourage friendly debate and disagreement, but ask that it be courteous and respectful.
- You must complete all three components (1 original post and 2 replies) of the discussion in order to receive full credit. Partial credit will be given. The discussions must be completed by the due date specified. Late postings will not be accepted and will result in a zero.
APA citation requirements:
Daigle, L. E., & Muftic, L. R. (2019). Victimology: A comprehensive approach (2nd Edition). Sage Publications.
In-text Citation: (Daigle & Muftic, 2019).