Questions And Script For Interview With Psychologist
Career choices in psychology class
Preparing for the Informational Interview to interview a psychologist assignment
An informational interview is a recommended tool for exploring career options. This assignment is designed to prepare you for an informational interview of a professional in the field of psychology. You will conduct this informational interview during Module 2.
Here, in Module 1, you will create a script, design a list of questions, and identify the person you hope to interview. You also need to schedule the interview.
In M3 Assignment 2 LASA 1, you will submit a written account of the informational interview you conducted with the psychology professional. ( that is not this assignment) this is a prep for that
You will ask the interviewee to describe the educational and training steps (the career paths) he or she took to reach the current position. You will also ask the interviewee to describe, in some detail, the job responsibilities associated with the position. The interview must be at least thirty minutes long. Ideally, it should be conducted in person. If that is not feasible, a phone interview is adequate.
For this assignment, do the following:
· Begin to prepare for this informational interview by identifying the professional you plan to interview. Ideally, the professional should be engaged in a career that you hope to pursue. (You may want to identify a second candidate in case your initial choice is unable to complete the interview with you.) This professional may work in your local area, but that is not necessary. If you cannot identify a professional easily, ask your friends and family if they know anyone who works in the field of psychology. You may also want to phone your local community mental health center or social services agency to ask for names and contact information of potential professionals you could interview. Contact your facilitator for guidance if you have difficulty in identifying someone.
· Provide the following identifying information about the individual you have selected:
· The name: Beth Pumerantz
· The job title (licensed psychologist, social worker, or case manager): LMFT
· The level of education (a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree): MS: MFT
· A description of job responsibilities or day-to-day tasks: counsel clients, document session, complete financial spreadsheets, book clients, field calls, bill insurance, intake/assessment first by phone then in first session, diagnose, create treatment plan, learn something new every day, practice something every day, make a difference in each client’s life by being present in session and compassionate and understanding…
· The type of license, if applicable: LMFT
· The state of residence and practice: CA
· The e-mail address or phone number: email@example.com; 909-946-9411
Develop a list of at least fifteen questions to ask in your informational interview.
in order to find suggested questions. Be sure to put them into your own words for the purpose of this assignment and to give credit to your source by using in-text citations and a reference list in APA format.
Possible questions might include:
· Ask the interviewee about his or her work, academic preparation, and advice. In addition, include the interviewee’s answers to questions on the following topics:
· The experience, skills, and knowledge necessary for success in a career in psychology or in graduate school
· Relevant professional organizations
· His or her views on professional ethics and academic integrity
· The role of psychological research in his or her work
· His or her greatest challenges and rewards
· His or her reasons for choosing the field
· Develop a script (word-for-word written statement) that you will use during the warm-up (meet-and-greet) portion of the interviewing the psychologist. What will you say to the interviewee when you meet him or her? What will you do? For example, will you shake the person’s hand and introduce yourself? Include small talk of a professional nature that will serve as an introduction and explanation of the purpose of the interview. Demonstrate in your script your ability to interact professionally and effectively in a professional environment. Give details.
· This assignment is preparatory work for the interview to be conducted later in this course. Do not conduct the interview for this assignment.
· Write a 2-page paper in Microsoft Word format. Apply APA standards to cite sources throughout paper..
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Identified an appropriate professional who met the requirements for the interview.||12|
|Gave the necessary identifying information about the professional.||12|
|Created a list of at least fifteen questions relevant to the professional’s career and designed to gather the required information.||28|
|Created a professional script for the warm-up (meet-and-greet) portion of the interview.||24|
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||24|