Trauma-Focused CBT For Children And Adolescents
Discussion: Contemporary Theory Presentation Assignment Instructions
You will research, evaluate, and present a contemporary counseling theory to the class. It will address the major components of the theory as outlined below. It would simulate you making a presentation to your peers. You may develop your presentation using Adobe creative suite software, video, narrated PowerPoint, web page, etc.
1. Your presentation should address the following Content areas:
1. Central constructs for the theory,
2. What causes dysfunction in the theory’s view?
3. What is the nature of therapy for this model?
4. Role of assessment (Does the model encourage a careful diagnostic interview? Self-report testing? Other forms of assessment?)
. Role of the client and the counselor
. (Is the counselor directive/non-directive? Educational? Active or Passive?)
. What personal qualities in the client will help the client take a role that will help the therapy be successful?
· Goals of therapy
. What is the therapy trying to accomplish? For example, traditional psychoanalytic therapy is trying to help the client resolve unconscious conflicts and to resolve the transference reaction with the therapist. What is your therapy model trying to do?
· Example techniques (Here are some sample techniques. There are many more. Interpretation of unconscious processes? Identification of cognitive distortions? Utilization of coping skills (such as relaxation training, assertiveness training, etc.)?
· the therapy process (How does the therapy develop over time?)
5. One or more case examples to demonstrate the therapy
6. Critique of the theory
. How well-supported is this theory empirically?
. What aspects of this theory need further research?
. How well does the theory address faith and cultural dimensions?
. How compatible is this theory to a Christian worldview?
. Any recommended modifications, additions, or deletions to make the theory more compatible with the Christian worldview?
. Any areas for further theological reflection related to this theory?
7. Key resources to learn this approach
2. Use your creativity in the development of this presentation. You may develop a PowerPoint presentation; however, you may also utilize an Adobe creative suite software, make a video, narrated PowerPoint, web page, etc. There are possibilities to complete this assignment. Many of these theories also have videos demonstrating their usage in Liberty’s online library databases (specifically, see the Counseling and Therapy in Video online database and the PsycTherapy online database in Liberty’s library database collection). Thus, you may be able to create brief therapy clips from these that can be incorporated into your presentation. Also, therapy demonstrations can sometimes be found on YouTube or other websites. Include therapy sample links if available as a part of your presentation.
3. Provide a link or attachment for your presentation in the Discussion labeled “Discussion: Contemporary Theory Presentation” and reply to at least 2 other classmates’ presentations with at least 250 words in each response.
· Your responses should reflect thoughtful engagement with the presentation rather than a “surfacy” (“I like this presentation” and one brief comment related to one slide.) These feedback responses should demonstrate that you carefully reviewed the presentation, rather than skimmed it.
· You should also respond to those making comments on your own presentation.