The goal of this assignment is to help you review the different types of transportation in a format that most of you are familiar with. This assignment will also help you determine how companies make decisions regarding routing, mode of transportation, and timing.
Now it is your turn:
Select an Express Delivery firm that is active in the United States and explain how their transportation network is set up. In detail, I would like you to take a look at one shipment and analyze how the transportation company managed the delivery of the product from origin to destination.
Please complete the following:
1. Calculate the distances and time between the locations mentioned on the tracking statement.
2. Identify the role that each leg of the journey plays (e.g. pick-up, line haul, delivery, etc.).
3. Identify the mode of transportation that is likely used.
4. Explain the routing between origin and destination (e.g. how much of a straight line between origin and destination).
5. Analyze the efficiency of the routing (e.g. why the company likely chose this routing).
6. Express any areas of difficulty.
7. Reflect on what you learned in this assignment.
If you do not have access to a tracking statement, please use one of the two below:
Date/Time Activity Location
10:04 am Shipment information sent to FedEx
4:00 pm Picked up ROGERS, MN
5:54 pm Arrived at FedEx location ROGERS, MN
1:37 am Left FedEx origin facility ROGERS, MN
3:47 pm Arrived at FedEx location HAGERSTOWN, MD
9:34 pm Departed FedEx location HAGERSTOWN, MD
4:52 am At local FedEx facility NORTH WALES, PA
7:30 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery NORTH WALES, PA
1:56 pm Delivered VALLEY FORGE, PA
Day/Time Activity Location
10:27 AM BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
09:01 PM ORIGIN SCAN WINDSOR LOCKS, CT
09:37 PM DEPARTURE SCAN WINDSOR LOCKS, CT
12:54 AM ARRIVAL SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ
03:38 AM DEPARTURE SCAN PARSIPPANY, NJ
05:44 AM ARRIVAL SCAN WEST CHESTER, PA
05:29 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY WEST CHESTER, PA
01:36 PM DELIVERED KING OF PRUSSIA, PA