Week 8 Discussion: Government Regulations And Social Insurance Programs
Required Resources Read/review the following resources for this activity: Textbook: Textbook: Greenberg, E. S & Page, B. I. (2018). The Struggle for Democracy, 2018 Elections, and Updates Edition. (12th ed.). Pearson.
· Textbook: Chapter 17
· Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options, and label the beginning of your post indicating either Option 1 or Option 2:
· Option 1: The main social insurance programs like Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment compensation are funded by a payroll tax on the earnings of individuals who may receive benefits. Do you think the social insurance programs are effective? How are social insurance programs affected by the socioeconomic and political forces? Explain your answers.
· Option 2: Research government regulations on a particular area of your choice, such as food, drugs, product safety, fracking, environment, etc. Do you think the government regulations go too far? Do you think the government needs to add more regulations? How are lobbyists involved concerning regulations on food and drug safety, and our environment concerning fracking? Explain your answers.
Be sure to make connections between your ideas and conclusions and the research, concepts, terms, and theory we are discussing this week.
· Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
· Cite your sources when applicable (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside scholarly source)
· APA format for in-text citations and list of references