Write a Letter to the Editor
This assignment requires you effectively demonstrate core competencies of critical thinking, communication, social responsibility, and personal responsibility within the context of civic engagement in the U.S. political process. In order to earn a satisfactory grade, you must do each of the following satisfactorily:
1. Identify a current political issue that affects you and your community.
2. Educate yourself about the issue by reading at least three articles from reputable news sources about the issue.
3. Identify a media outlet used in your community (this could be a news blog, a newspaper, or a radio station). Verify that the media outlet accepts letters to their editorial staff and find the parameters for such submissions. Take a screenshot of the submission guidelines.
4. Draft a letter (of a length that adheres to the submission guidelines for your particular media outlet, but typically about 150 words) to the editor in which you
1. identify yourself;
2. identify the political issue about which you are concerned;
3. clearly state a position on that issue (what the government should do or not do); and
4. provide an explanation for your position that will persuade the readers to agree with you.