Ballenger Response–Week 1
1. Read pages 1-11 in The Curious Researcher.
Complete Exercise 1, steps 1 & 2, from this week’s reading assignment in The Curious Researcher.
1. Read Ann Hodgman’s “No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch”
Discuss the following:
2. In what ways is Hodgman’s essay different from “the typical research paper”?
3. In what ways is it similar?
4. Is Hodgman’s essay objective? In what ways? In what ways is it subjective? Can a good paper be both without sacrificing its authority?
Writing Assign 1 Prewriting
1. List the two most pressing concerns of your life right now. Next, list any questions you have about them.
2. Make a list of things you want/need to figure out.
3. List 3-5 of the most influential events in your life. Next, list questions you have–if any– about these events.
4. Respond to at least 3 of your classmates’ posts. Which of their ideas sounds most promising and why?
5. The idea, of course, is for these prompts to get your mind rolling. Perhaps you’ll have found your essay 1 topic in one of these lists…. If not, keep mulling it over and one will come to you.