First Paper Prompt
Question to be answered: Should the play be called ANTIGONE or CREON?
In no fewer than 500 well-chosen, grammatically arranged words, tell me whose tragedy this is.
To go about this, you will have to decide whose definition of tragedy you are using. What would Aristotle say about Sophocles’s play? Whose downfall does this play track? Whose hamartia brings on calamity? Why would you tell this story?
(We know what Hegel would say, but that doesn’t solve the problem of the title.)
You will have to state your thesis clearly in your introduction and support your argument with evidence from the play.
Rules of the Road
To do well, you will have to make sure that what you say is accurate. You will have to pay close attention to what Sarah presents and when she presents it. (The earlier a fact is presented, the more convincing it will be. Does she present irrelevancies as if they were relevant?)
You will also have to make sure that your paper is organized.
· Your paper needs an overall thesis and you need to state this thesis in your introduction.
· Each paragraph needs a thesis. You need to make this thesis clear in the first sentences of the paragraph.
· You need to back your thesis up with evidence. Remember that you will have to explain why your evidence proves your point. Just quoting Adnan is not enough. You have to make it clear why you are quoting him.
You will have to make sure that your writing is grammatical and that your word-choice is appropriate.
· When in doubt, keep your sentences simple. No one ever complained that a paper was too clear.
· All the regular rules of grammar and usage apply.
· If you have any doubts, go to the Writing Center for help. Make your appointment early. This is a busy time of year.
The Fine Print
· The paper is to be submitted via email by 7:54 pm on October 3.
Make sure you put ENGH 202 PAPER 1 in the subject line.
· The paper is to be no fewer than 500 words long.
· It is to be double-spaced with your name on the first page.
· The paper is to be submitted to my email account in .doc or .docx format, not as a .pdf or an .rtf file. I will not accept these formats.
· It is to be properly documented—with notes and bibliography laid out according to MLA style.