Psychosocial Development Case Study Assessment
The purpose of this assignment is to use what you have learned about lifespan theories, models of resilience, and psychosocial development to assess how well individuals and families are functioning in relation to all three of these areas. To address realistic situations without violating personal rights to privacy, you will view the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, or one of the other approved films for this assignment, in order to provide a case scenario.
If you have not yet viewed the movie, you need to do so to complete this assignment. Each movie represents characters in multiple life stages. Identify three characters moving through a different life stage and focus on details that will make your analysis applicable to your specialization.
For this assignment, imagine you are a counselor working with each of these three characters. Now, conduct the following analysis for each character:
· Identify the life stage he or she is in, along with the psychological crisis each is experiencing.
· Apply psychosocial developmental theory to the situation presented, from the perspective of a counselor:
o Conceptualize your ideas for the developmental tasks of each character selected, grounding your conceptualization in your own area of specialization.
o Include a discussion of the character’s life and factors that might affect behaviors, including cultural and other influences related to the stage of development assessed. To the extent that it is relevant for each character, include an analysis of interrelationships among work, family, and other life roles. Include an analysis of the impact of cultural influences, as well. Refer to specific actions and words of the characters in the movie as evidence for your analysis.
o Support your ideas with specific lifespan theories discussed in this course, citing and referencing your sources.
From a clinical perspective, assess how these three characters function as a family unit:
· Examine their functioning in relation to a model of resilience appropriate to your specialization, and evaluate their challenges and strengths related to wellness and resilience. As each character transitions to his or her next developmental stage, how will the transition impact the functioning of the family unit?
· Support your ideas with appropriate sources on the model of resilience you chose.
Use the document Unit 8 Assignment Template (given in the resources) to prepare and submit your report. Do not include a synopsis of the movie in your paper. Instead, follow the template. Focus on the three selected characters, and the realities of their functioning as a family unit and transitioning within the family unit, as described in the template. Then, provide your assessment of how well they are functioning in relation to your choice of a model of wellness and resilience, as described in the template. Your summary, at the end of the template, should provide a brief, focused review of the key insights in your assessment.
Review the scoring guide given in the resources to make sure you understand how this assignment will be graded.
Your paper must meet the following requirements:
· Resources: Cite and reference at least three resources from the professional literature that you use as the basis of your ideas related to life span theory and resilience models.
· APA formatting: Resources and citations must be formatted according to current APA style.
· Font and Font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
· Length of Paper: Doing a thorough job on this assignment is likely to require approximately 7 typed, double-spaced pages.
· Turnitin: You are required to submit your final version of this paper to Turnitin to generate a final report prior to submitting the assignment for grading.